This month I’m hosting a wine writer’s event centered on the Island Wines of Italy. In researching for the event I’ve learned that there are more than 450 Italian islands. 350 of them are in the sea, either as an element of an archipelago or a singleton. There are 100 lake and lagoon islands, of which Venice comprises 32 of them.
Maybe, when I chose my topic, I should have been more specific?
There’s Sicily, a prominent and significant Italian wine region. There’s Sardinia, a mélange of French and Italian varieties and methods. But what else is out to sea?
Look in the Bay of Naples for Ischia and Capri and Pantelleria reaching off towards Tunisa. The Aeolian Islands produce a signature… but what else is out to sea?
If you know, here is your chance to join in our event which is comprised of a blog post and associated Twitter chat. You are invited!
How To Join Us
- Send an email to tell me you’re in. Please put #ItalianFWT Title in the subject and Include blog url, Twitter handle, and any other social media details. If you know your blog post title, include that…but you can also send that a bit closer to the event. We’d like to get a sense of who’s participating and give some shout-outs and links as we go. You can contact me at email@example.com.
- Send your post title to me by Wednesday, April 4th to be included in the preview post. I will prepare a preview post shortly after getting the titles, linking to your blogs. Your title should include “#ItalianFWT” (the hashtag for Italian Food, Wine & Travel).
- Publish your post between Friday, April 5, 2019 and 8:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday, April 6, 2019. You can always schedule your post in advance if you will be tied up that morning.
- Include links to the other #ItalianFWT participants in your post, and a description of what the event is about. I’ll provide the HTML code that you can easily put in your initial post — which will link to people’s general blog url — then the updated code for the permanent links to everyone’s #ItalianFWT posts.
- Get social! After the posts go live, please visit your fellow bloggers posts’ to comment and share. We have a Facebook group for participating bloggers to connect and share, too.
- Please be sure to disclose if your post is sponsored or if you are describing wine or other products for which you have received a free sample.
Italian Food, Wine & Travel
Here’s what’s coming up for the rest of the year:
May: Marche and the Pecorino grape
July: Lazio Wines
August: Whites of Northeastern Italy
September: Passito Wines
November: Outside the Norm of Chianti in Tuscany (Montecucco, Bolgheri, Maremma, Valdarno di Sopra)
December: Lesser Known Wine Regions of Italy (Molise, Basilicata, etc)
13 thoughts on “Island Wines Of Italy: How Many Do You Know (#ItalianFWT)”
Sounds great! While I’d love to write about some of these lesser known islands, I’ve already sourced a few wine from Sicily and Sardegna to write about.
Me too — Have some cool stuff from Sicily in hand. Hope we get some revealing conversation about other spots!
450! Wow. I think I have been to 3.
I couldn’t believe it!
Would love to join this blog topic. Sent FB request to be added to #ItalianFWT. Already secure a wine from Sicily and will pair with non Asian food 😜
Looking forward to it! Which one of the 450 will you be choosing? ; )